The Dovecot. The 17th century Dovecot, or Doocot, is one of the estate's oldest structures.
Residing west of the house, the 17th century dovecote, or pigeon house, may be the oldest surviving structure at Dumfries House and was formerly part of the old estate, bearing a date of 1671 carved into the paneled doorway. Dovecotes were used for storing food during the winter months and also often acted as a status symbol. The design is particularly restrained, save for the heraldic panel positioned above the door.