Ceramic Tiles with Geometric Patterns
|Dates:||15 July 2019 - 19 July 2019|
|Time:||10:30 - 17:30|
|Location:||The Prince's Foundation School of Traditional Arts|
This course will take students through a comprehensive process of making ceramic tiles; from the study of the repeat geometric units to understanding the nature of clay and glazes, it will give students the practical skills to make a complete tile panel.
Who is this course for?
All levels of experience and ability welcome.
What should I bring?
All materials will be provided. Please note that in addition to course fees, clay will be charged at £2.50 per 500 g of fired material. This should be paid at the end of the course, upon collection of your fired piece(s).
What should I wear?
Aprons will be supplied, but we recommend comfortable clothing that you do not mind getting a little messy.
Avoid wearing: Baggy clothing (especially sleeves), Loose jewellery; High heels or open toed shoes.
Health & Safety:
- Inhalation or ingestion of dust from dry clay and glazes constitutes the chief hazard in a ceramics studio. Follow your tutor's advice to keep exposure to dust at a minimum.
- Wear any personal protective equipment such as goggles or gloves when instructed by your tutor.
- Wash your hands regularly between activities.
- Food and drink are not allowed in the studio where glazing is done.
- Lead based glazes are not permitted in our studios.
What days do I attend?
Monday - Friday
What if I do not finish my work?
Students will be guided through lessons with the aim of students leaving with fired, and glazed pieces by the end of the week. However, this cannot be guaranteed as each class must move at its own pace. We regret that due to the busy nature of our workshop, we cannot accommodate students at different times.
Finally, we cannot guarantee that work won’t be damaged in the kiln or not survive a firing.
Do you offer concessions?
Yes, we offer concessions for full time students and OAPs.
To receive a concession, please apply via our online form.
What if I need to cancel or change my booking?
You can view our policy here.
By booking this course, you agree to our terms and conditions. Click to view.
Nooshin Shafiei began her career in woodcarving and marquetry before moving on to ceramics, illumination, miniature painting, metal engraving and weaving. She has studied under the supervision of Iranian traditional masters and attained a BA in Handicrafts (Distinction), MA in Art Research (Distinction) and is pursuing a PhD in Traditional Arts at The Prince's School. Nooshin has over twenty years experience as a tutor and has exhibited her work both in the UK and internationally.
Upcoming Courses with Nooshin Shafiei
- The Ancient Craft of Natural Dyes Begins 1 June 2019
- Painting for Ceramicists: Decorate a plate in the Iznik style Begins 22 July 2019
- The Ancient Craft of Natural Dyes Begins 2 September 2019